Home Buyers Info

Is mold in your house a problem? What you need to know

Is mold in your house a problem? What you need to know


Mold can grow on walls, clothes, books, toys, and even CDs. There are different types of molds that can grow in a person’s home. Mold can damage household items and it may also cause health issues.

Whether it is a cold, damp winter or a warm, humid summer, activities at home can result in moisture indoors and the appearance of mold in the house.
But is it also a health hazard? What effects can mold have on a person’s body?

This article looks at what mold is, why it grows, its impact on a person’s health, and how to stop it.

What is mold?

Indoor mold growth is most likely to occur during the fall and winter months. Molds are a form of fungus. There are many different types, and they can occur both indoors and outdoors.
Molds produce spores, which spread by floating around in the air. Mold spores are present in all indoor environments. There is no way to prevent spores, and they can persist in conditions where mold itself cannot grow.

Mold spores thrive in environments that are moist and warm, so when they land on a damp spot, they begin to grow.
Molds can grow on a variety of different surfaces, including fabric, paper, wood, glass, and plastic. As they grow, they may digest the material they are growing on.

Types of mold

Nobody knows how many kinds of mold there are, but experts estimate that there may be 300,000Trusted Source or more different types. Some are more likely than others to appear in the home.
Common indoor molds include:
Alternaria: This occurs in damp places indoors, such as showers or under leaky sinks.
Aspergillus: This often grows indoors, on dust, powdery food items, and building materials, such as drywall.
Cladosporium: This can grow in either cool or warm areas. It tends to appear on fabrics and wood surfaces.
Penicillium: This tends to grow on materials with water damage. It often has a blue or green appearance.
Molds take a variety of forms and textures. They can be white, black, yellow, blue, or green and often look like discoloration or stain to a surface.
They can also have a velvety, fuzzy, or rough appearance, depending on the type of mold and where it is growing.
How does mold get into a house?
Mold can attach itself to pets.
Mold spores are everywhere, both indoors and outdoors, but they are not visible to the naked eye.
Spores can enter the home:
Through the air: They can enter through open windows, doorways, and ventilation systems.
By attaching to objects or people: Vehicles include clothing, shoes, and pets.
Mold will only flourish if spores land somewhere that has the ideal conditions for growing, such as moisture and a supply of suitable nutrients. If the environment is unsuitable for the spores, they do not usually develop or cause a problem.
Places where mold often appears include:
• areas where leakages and flooding have occurred
• windows where condensation builds up
• places where the air does not circulate, for example, behind a closet
Wet cellulose materials are most supportive of mold growth.
Examples include:
• paper products, including wallpaper
• cardboard
• ceiling tiles
• wood products
• insulation materials
• upholstery and other fabrics
Mold growth is usually visible and often produces a musty odor. It can damage household items, and it can also have an impact on health.
Mold and health
Mold can pose a health problem, especially for people with an allergy, an existing respiratory problem, or a weakened immune system.
Breathing problems
As mold grows, spores, cells, fragments, and unstable organic compounds can enter the air. They can produce allergens, irritants, and mycotoxins. Some of these can be toxic, especially to individuals who have a sensitivity to them.
Also, dampness encourages materials to break down, increasing the volume of particles, or dust, in the air.
These particles can irritate the lungs, nose, and throat, especially in a person who already has a breathing problem, asthma, or a chronic lung condition.
Allergy
A person with a sensitivity or allergy to any mold-related particles may react.
Mold allergies can produce similar symptoms to other allergies, such as hay fever, or seasonal allergy. In these, too, airborne substances can affect the upper respiratory tract.
Symptoms include:
• a blocked or runny nose
• an itchy nose
• an itchy throat
• sneezing
• watery eyes
People with a mold allergy as well as asthma have a higher chance of having an asthma attack when there is mold in the environment.
A higher volume of dust can increase the risk of dust mites, which can also trigger an allergic reaction in some people.
Aspergillosis
Some types of mold, such as Aspergillus, can cause a serious health problem, known as aspergillosisTrusted Source, in some people.
Most people can breathe in the spores of this fungus without becoming sick, but people who have a weakened immune system or an existing lung disease can have a severe reaction.
There are different typesTrusted Source of aspergillosis:
Allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis (ABPA): This affects the lungs and can cause breathing problems.
Allergic aspergillus sinusitis: This affects the nose and can involve a headache.
Aspergilloma, or fungus ball: This can cause a cough, which may produce blood, as well as breathing problems.
Chronic pulmonary aspergillosis: Symptoms include breathing problems, a cough, and weight loss.
Other conditions
Mold can also trigger the production of microbes and bacteria. Exposure to these bacteria may trigger an inflammatory response in some people, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/288651

Our Services

Commercial Inspection

It is designed for financial institutions, commercial realtors and investors as well as individual buyers.

Info For Home Buyers

Mold1

Testing for Mold in Air

We are now offering air sampling for the presence of mold. A healthy home is a happy home. We are a one stop business. We also do radon testing and lead testing. Our business isn’t just about home inspections, its about everything that can be harmful to you in your home. Give us a call to discuss all your concerns.